Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when too much carbon monoxide is in the air you’re breathing. Your body replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells with carbon monoxide. This prevents oxygen from reaching your tissues and organs. This can be deadly. Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal, and wood don’t burn fully. Burning charcoal, running cars and the smoke from cigarettes also produce carbon monoxide gas. Gas, oil, coal and wood are sources of fuel used in many household appliances, including boilers, hot water heaters, furnaces, and other appliances that require heating and burning components.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is especially dangerous because the gas cannot be detected by the senses. That is, it is odorless and we cannot see it or feel it. This is why carbon monoxide detectors are crucially important to have in your home, business, and other areas where carbon monoxide poisoning is at risk to occur.